tel 412-566-2760 • fax 412-471-6643 • contact us
The NEED HBCU Educational Tour is a rite of passage for 10th and 11th graders that is also an invaluable learning experience outside of the classroom. The Educational Tour allows students to gain firsthand knowledge about their major or field of interest. Students have the opportunity to visit 11 HBCU’s in the Eastern and Southeastern United States.
NEED’s HBCU Educational Tour is unique because in addition to visiting established HBCU’s such as Alabama A&M, Cheyney, Clark Atlanta., Fisk, Howard, Johnson C. Smith, Morehouse, Morgan State, North Carolina A&T, Spelman and Tennessee State; the tour will include visits to historical sites such as the Martin Luther King, Jr. Center, International Civil Rights Museum, the Underground Railroad Freedom Center and many more.
In order to qualify for the Historically Black College Tour, the following requirements must be met:
• The student must be enrolled in the 10th or 11th grade during the 2012-2013 academic year.
• A high school transcript must be submitted with the application.
• All students must be in good standing academically, and behaviorally, including satisfactory school attendance.
• A letter of recommendation from your teacher or counselor must be submitted.
• A 300 word typed essay on “Why I wish to go on the Historically Black College Tour” must be submitted.
• In addition, the student/parent must complete the mandatory orientations, held at Calvary Episcopal Church.
The total cost for the tour is $700.00, payable in installments at each orientation (This cost includes several sets of the required HBCU Tour Uniforms, which will consist of khaki pants and polo shirts).
A $175.00 Non-Refundable deposit is due with your application. Payments can be made payable to NEED via money order or credit card (MasterCard, Visa or American Express).
Attached is the application. Please complete it in its entirety and return with all required submissions to:
NEED Student Services
The Warner Centre
332 Fifth Avenue, First Floor
Pittsburgh, PA 15222
The materials must be postmarked no later than January 15th, 2013. If you have any questions, please call the NEED office at 412.566.2760.